[Coco] Re: Where's everybody goin'?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Mar 13 00:08:26 EST 2004

KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 3/12/04 2:07:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
  wb8tyw at qsl.net
> writes:
>
>>Maybe they switched to the gmane newsgroup?
>
> What is the gmane newsgroup?  Is that sort of like bit.listserv.coco, a
> netnews substitute for email?

Yes.

Set up your news reader to use news.gmane.org as a server.  Then
subscribe to the newsgroup gmane.comp.hardware.tandy.coco.

You must post with an unmunged e-mail address that you can receive mail
from.  You will get a confirmation e-mail message with instructions that
you must follow for your post to be accepted.  You will only get the
confirmation notice on your first post.

The gmane news server mungs anything it thinks is an e-mail address.
For real e-mail addresses, it creates a temporary alias which it
substitutes in the message.

Thus for a brief period of time mailing to the e-mail address shown for
this post will reach me.

When a mailing list gets to a high enough volume, it is much easier for
me to follow it from a newsreader.

> Three of the names are not people I would expect to unsubscribe from
> maltedmedia.
> When I go on vacation, I turn off mail but remain subscribed.  In fact, I'
> still subscribed at PUCC, just haven't turned on mail for 4 months.  --Mike K.

 From the looks of things, no one can send e-mail to the PUCC any more.

I do not know if someone has contacted the news server that handles the
bit.listserv.coco and offered to become the new owner if Princeton
officially abandons the mailing list and another "bitnet" member does
not pick it up.  That way the newsgroup will not get removed.

-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only