[Coco] Anybody ever post "Quaver"?

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Fri Mar 12 07:40:47 EST 2004

At 01:02 AM 3/12/04 -0800, Bob wrote:
>I haven't found the cassette yet because it's saved *somewhere* on one of my
>own C-60's. I have, however, located the magazines that I typed it in
from, Nov
>& Dec '83 TCCM, which includes the source. Would scanned copies of the source
>be okay? Do you want the entire article? advertisements? I love looking
back at
>the ads in these old books. I still reel at the price of floppy drives.

They were expensive, and I added one to the CoCo very late, mostly to hold
documents destined for publication. Amardeep has a bunch of my floppies for
transfer -- CoCo, I think, but it's been so long since I sent them, I don't
think I'll even see what's on them. I'm not sure that they might not be
Model I floppies, too. (The original "Custom TRS-80" was my ongoing word
processor right through 1992, when I traded in its space on my desk for a PC.)

Thanks for the offer of scanning, but I don't need that. I have the printed
material to Quaver, both the original article (which was reprinted in the
documentation), the documentation itself, and the "Programmer" magazine in
which I expanded on the algorithm I used in Quaver. Printed stuff I got!

The magazine version is the 1.0 prototype version, so to speak, the result
of a challenge laid out by one of the hundreds of nastygrams I used to get.
(Amazing how emotional readers were in those days!)

The final versions (2.1 and 2.3) are significant improvements
(optimizations of the M/L and a nicer BASIC interface) and I was actually
looking for them. I have several suggestions as to how to make it happen,
including using one of the emulators to load the old tapes. I'll give that
a try & report back in a week. (My interest was actually in a readable
ASCII copy for web reference from the article in IDEA magazine.)

Thanks to all for the suggestions. It will be interesting to do this --
although in any case it will miss the deadline for the article, which is
Monday.

Speaking of printed stuff, I posted all the various CoCo documentation that
Green Mountain Micro did and articles that I wrote -- at least the stuff I
was able to transfer from the Model I almost 14 years ago (some floppies
wouldn't read anymore). CoCo stuff was imprisoned on tapes and some
floppies, and never made it to my PC. (I still have at least five trays of
100 tapes each full of programs, text files, etc.!)

Dennis