[Coco] Re: Old radios

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Mar 11 21:43:36 EST 2004

Neil

I was checking on the net and correct the #80 is a rectifier and if I
remember correctlythe tube that was bad was the first IF amp tube.
Dead filament.

That is one way of reforming caps. Another is to remove them and
slowly work the voltage up across the cap while limiting the current.
Once you get them up to full working voltage then you can leave
them at that voltage for a while.The one thing that is death to those
capsis to hit it with to much current when the dielectric is not well
formed between the plates.

One can test the capacitance by using a know high value series
precision resistor and a scope with a constant voltage source.
Measure the time it takes to reach one sigma (63% max voltage)
and then plug and chug into an equation.

james