[Coco] Please be kind...

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Thu Mar 4 12:48:50 EST 2004

SFischer1 at MindSpring.com writes:

> Large file transfers start OK. Soon the transfer stops and just a few bits
>  dribble in slowly and if I wait for the end the resulting file is no good.

A lot of file transfers work that way -- start off fast, then slow way down.
But in my case they are usually good, finally.  I haven't tried Dennis' site
yet.

I suspect some servers are optimized to give out, say, 50K very fast in a
burst, hoping that will finish the file and the transfer will go away.  But if
the file is bigger, the remainder gets a lower priority.  This would optimize
handling a lot of small-file requests, which is what servers usually do (an HTML
page or small graphic, e.g.).

  I run AOL/IE5 and Win98.  --Mike K.