[Coco] Fwd: The 1 to 2K Adventure Game Competition (Game question)

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at speakeasy.net
Tue Jun 29 19:59:57 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 16:44, Allen Huffman wrote:
> I think I'd like to enter this one -- might be fun to apply modern
> thoughts to doing an Adventure game in BASIC :-) Anyone have any
> compression ideas, like the old Infocom approach of tokenizing words?

Well I'd guess you'd want to do the obvious text compression since it's
a text adventure, what else can you compress? How about using a Huffman
code ;-) I'd suppose you'd write all that in assembler. Bitpack the map
and data structures. Use the ROM for I/O.

I'd avoid BASIC altogether since it is not a requirement and go straight
to 6809 assembler.

Is there any way to keep yourself honest and enforce a 2K RAM ceiling?

-- John.