[Coco] Re: Repacking

Richard E. Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Sun Jun 13 00:38:52 EDT 2004

Hello Robert

On 06/12/04, Robert Emery wrote:

> --- "Richard E. Crislip" wrote:
>> Hello Robert
>>
>> Well... I have an old AT tower that I'd like to put my CoCo into. I also
>> have a MPI that needs to go in also since I have a HD and a SyQuest
>> removable as well as the usual floppies. I'd like to be able to access
>> the MPI slot from outside the tower, but that may be more trouble than
>> it's worth. Now I already have a CoCo3 setup to use a PC power supply
>> (it's complete with 6309, Protector and Nitros and the improved RSDOS
>> that Cloud 9 is selling). So getting it into that case would be sooo
>> fine. Right now I'm using an Amiga 2000 power supply to power the hd and
>> Syquest. So it goes without saying that this cludge requires a lot of
>> desk realestate.
>>

> Sounds like a sweet candidate for a repack.
> Let me ask a few questions to consider a plan of attack...
>
> How many of each drive bay does the tower case have (5-1/4, 3-1/2,
> internal)? Can you give me the case dimensions and possibly provide a
> photo of the internal chassis of the tower?

Three 5.25 and two 3.5 bays exposed. The case is about two feet high and
very close to 6.5 inches wide and 1.5 feet deep.

> What size drive bays are needed for the syquest and the HD?
> ''   ''   ''    '' for floppy drives?

The Syquest unit is an external model. I suppose it can be repacked.

> Do you ever unplug the HD or FD controller(s)?
> How many MPI slots need to be externally accessible?

No I don't unplug those two controllers as a general rule.

> Do you use a Speech pak, RS-232 pak or other romless pak?

Nope

> I need details about your monitor connector (plug type, length of
> cable...).

I use a Magavox monitor that uses the din type connector, not the nine pin
one.

> I heartily recommend getting an AT keyboard adapter from Cloud-9.

Yeah... I thought about that too.