[Coco] Coco 3 and the Internet

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sat Jun 5 23:16:48 EDT 2004

At 08:11 AM 6/5/2004, you wrote:
>At the very least, it should be trivial to design a simple HTML parser
>which would get HTML text from some input path and call "tag handlers" to
>handle the various tags in the text.  This can be done now, simply by
>using test HTML pages on a floppy or hard drive.
>
>It would be tedious to write in assembly, but would probably offer the
>best in terms of speed and code size.  I say someone should take up the
>challenge and start on one!
>
>Boisy

Sock's Hi-Color trick would be great for this.  That, or my old/unreleased
Net-Mate video that does 8 colors per foreground/background on the graphics
screen.  It prints all of the "IBM" graphics characters/lines/angles, etc.
but the text font is kinda compressed.

It would be very easy to render simple HTML content, but most stuff on the
web today would choke a weak browser.  You'd just have to ignore tags you
couldn't process and hope for the best.  Images would be impractical to
support, especially since we've never pull off the JPEG format, and GIF
does take a while to render.  Animated GIFs would be hard to display.

Another thing to consider is the height limit of a page... some pages just
keep going on forever it seems.  To support this on the CoCo, you'd have to
render directly to a virtual screen that runs from block #0 to #55 or so,
or perhaps block #64 to #255 on a 2-meg machine.  Blocks #64 to #127 are
free (in Disk BASIC) on a 1-meg machine.  You'd scroll through that memory
just like the PC does when you scroll up or down on a tall web page.