[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: using Tandy FD drives in a PC

Charlie chazbeenhad at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 3 08:57:19 EDT 2004

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, Robert Emery
<theother_bob at y...> wrote:
> [...]

Yesterday I did get the FD-501 drive working in a Asus A7a-266 mobo
with an Athlon 900 cpu running DOS.

My FD-501 drive has no jumpers at all. There is a spot that says DS0
DS1 DS2 DS3 but there are no jumper pins, the DS0 and DS1 are
soldered together. Regardless, It was working as a single drive A. Of
course I told the bios it was a 360K floppy, but I got no error and
Anadisk was writing and reading from the drive just fine.

Still though, at the COCO the disks were no good. No DIR, nothing
just IO errors. I took the FD-501 drive out of the PC and threw in
one of the 360K drives I use on my COCO and got the same results.

So maybe it has to do with the disk controller on the mother board.
Or, a combo of both .....

I guess I'll have to search around here at work for the oldest system
I can find with a 486 or 386 cpu.

-Charlie

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM