[Coco] Re: Not sure about the Barden issue

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed Jul 28 07:51:32 EDT 2004

John,

There was no hacking going on at all.  This was an account whose
username and password were known to quite a few people, and was set up
for passing around files related to CoCo projects like NitrOS-9,
cocotools, etc.  The individual who did this knew of the account's
existence and of the username and password.  The system log shows a
normal login through SSH that would not have raised any flags with me
whatsoever.

Since this fiasco, my machine has locked up repeatedly and I am
currently looking at it to figure out if (a) the same individual placed
some type of rogue application on the server or (b) someone from this
group is targeting my IP address as a means of revenge.  So if anyone
on this list is taking advantage of this situation by attempting to
raze my system, please stop.  My attempts to provide a service to CoCo
folks is providing me more grief than it's worth, frankly.

Boisy