[Coco] assembly questions?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jul 26 23:31:32 EDT 2004

Mark

The biggest problem with BGA is when the BGA pads on the PCB
themselves. I have sliced and dice enough PCBs with BGA joint
and looked at joints under a scanning electron microscope to know
about how any BGA joint can fracture.

The BGA pads need to be protected at all stages after initial etch. In
the line of work that I used to do, 90% of the failures were at the
PCB/Ball joint. Often due contaminations from the PCB processing
that even presolder cleaning will not correct. Often what happens is
when a weakened joint is exposed to high stress and board flexure,
there is an icreased risk of failure.

Simply this, if you solder to copper chloride the joint is going to fail.
Almost invariably the contaminat is chlorine.

james

james