[Coco] assembly questions?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Jul 23 15:40:01 EDT 2004

Mike

The Hitachi chip in Hitachi mode will shave two cycles off. In
Motorola mode it is the same nu mber of cycles.

The 6809 is a state sequencer for instructions, unlike the 6309
which actually uses  micrcoded instrtuctions. The 6809 can sort of
be seen as each instruction being its own state machine. There are
some unique adavatages that this has and one major disadvantage.
The major disadvantage is real estate on the die. The major
advantage is that some operations can be done asycronously and
independent of the clock.

I started  investigating the possiblilty of how the 6809 could have
been masked and I derived this so far. The Address Mode decode
logic can be done without any clock by simply using or, and, and
nand gates. A total of 38 logic gates. Looked at the opcode map
and reduced the product terms to 38 logic gates. You can do the
same for the post byte decode logic. I believe the post byte decode
circuit is simpler.

Truly a neat processor. I told a manager of the HC11 line that the
one thing that would have made the HC11 a better processor would
have been to add the U register. The same holds for the HC12.

james