[Coco] speech/orch pak

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 18:58:52 EDT 2004

--- Stephen Blunt <sblunt at agsecorp.com> wrote:
> But if you plug it into the mpi, I thought it would only be active when the
> selector switch was selecting it (unless you put it in slot 4? [which I
> imagine runs concurrently with the other 3 slots?]). That is why I could
> never quite figure out how it was used.

AFAIK, The switch only selects a ROM cartidge at powerup. Because it has no
ROM, the SSC doesn't care about the switch position and is always available.
That's partly why it doesn't cause any conflicts with a Y-cable.

These cartridges are mapped into the I/O at specific predefined addresses which
you read or write in order to access them. Kind of like the disk controller...
it has hardware (mapped to $FF40) AND software (disk basic ROM mapped to
$C000). OS-9 or ML can use the hardware without using the ROM (or they can
levereage the ROM, why reinvent the wheel?)

Bob