[Coco] RomPack

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jul 21 16:31:58 EDT 2004

smostrom at mn.rr.com wrote:

> I have a Coco rompack without a label that does not self-execute.  Upon opening the black shell, I see a circuit board that says "ANTECO" on the side nearest to the spring door, and has a fairly large black block on the other side of the board.  This block is fixed to the circuit board by pins.  In the middle of the block is a rectangular depression with an exposed chip.  This chip reads:
>
> DALLAS
> DS1216-
> 8911D2
>
> My guess is a clock, but I don't see any kind of battery.  Anyone know for sure what this beastie does, or who manufactured it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Steve --

That is a Dallas SmartWatch (r). The battery will be internal to the
socket holding the chip.

It is possible that the pak had some other use because normally a ROM is
plugged into the socket holding the clock. Most Coco users will lift the
disk controller ROM, put the SmartWatch in the ROM socket, and then plug
the ROM into the SmartWatch socket.