[Coco] extract files out of DSK files ???

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 19 18:19:17 EDT 2004

Paul T. Barton wrote:

> Ok FOlks,
>
> How do I extract files from a DSK file?
> I want to get copies of "krn" and "rel_80"
> out, so that I can put them into my boot-rom.
> On WinXp.  Or I could do it on Linux.
> I have Kanotix 3.4 (Debian) installed.
>
> Right now I use Linux to download the
> dsk files and put them onto a 720k floppy.
> This works great (since WinXP won't).
>
> I just want to be able to get the kernal
> and rel files out;
> "everytime they get changed" :)
>

> Paul T Barton
> I don't use MESS or an emulator.

For normal OS-9 files, you could use the program OS9.EXE; that's if
WinXP has the equivalent of a DOS mode. However, the "files" you want
reside in track 34 and are not readable as files by OS-9.

The only simple way to get access to these modules is to run
OS-9/NitrOS-9 by booting the disk, saving the modules to the disk, and
then moving the modules as desired. This can be done on a real Coco or
with any emulator that runs in WinXP.