[Coco] Help with ms-dos DSKINI please

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 19 18:12:44 EDT 2004

Boisy G. Pitre wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2004, at 10:08 AM, Robert Gault wrote:
>
>> There is a problem with the lsl.dsk file but it is usable. The image
>> seems to actually be a single sided disk but lsn0 indicates the disk
>> is double sided. It can be read in MESS if lsn0 byte $10 is changed
>> from $03 to $02.
>

> Robert,
>
> The image IS a double-sided disk image.  How did you determine that the
> image is single sided?
>
>> The image does have a problem with track 11 when using dskini.exe. My
>> suggestion would be to use MESS to create a blank t40 d os9 disk and
>> dsave the files form the lsl.dsk to the new one. Then dskini.exe
>> should work.
>>
> I cannot say why there is a problem with that particular track.  DSKINI
> makes no attempt to interpret the contents of a disk image -- it merely
> sees it as a stream of bytes.
>
> I'm totally unsure why Charlie is having the problems he is having.
>
> Boisy

If you take the lsl.dsk image as downloaded from the source, it won't be
read by MESS. However, if you dEd it or use a PC disk editor and change
lsn0 byte $10 from 3 to 2, MESS can read it.

This indicates to me that the image format is not correct and that for
use with MESS it works as a single sided drive.

Regardless of what the image is supposed to be, the validity of
statements about it must be determined by testing. A test will indicate
whether I'm right or wrong.

In answer to Charles, you won't need to do anything except the above to
get this disk image to be read by MESS if you can start OS-9
independently. If you can't, then the reason the image won't boot with
DOS is because the boot information is not at lsn$264 but rather lsn$4C8.

But all is not lost! Change the image name from lsl.dsk to lsl.os9 and
now MESS will correctly read the disk from Disk Basic. That means that
the DOS command will now boot the game if the above two adjustments are
made.