[Coco] Totally OT: Terabit memory device

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Thu Jul 15 18:40:37 EDT 2004

On Jul 15, 2004, at 8:21 AM, John Donaldson wrote:

>  In a related item, I once saw a article on a new display system that
> was a large clear plastic cube
> with a spinning disk inside. lasers were position all around and it
> and the rotating disk created a
> 3D image inside the cube. The article mention that it had applications
> as a new type of radar display
> since at a glance you could see not only where the aircraft were but
> also the altitude and relation to
> each other. Anyone remember that project. I am a pilot and have visted
> many radar instalations and
> have never seen a display like that in any of them.

I don't think they ever made it past the prototype stage.  I have heard
about them, and even seen pictures of working prototypes.  Considering
that they are electro-mechanical systems I suspect that the advantages
simply did not outweigh the cost.
Also remember that the FAA is very very conservative about upgrading
equipment.

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?