[Coco] Totally OT: Terabit memory device

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Thu Jul 15 12:03:25 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert at yahoo.com>

> Back in 1991 or 1992, I read an article in the Orange County Register
> (California) about a new memory device that was being developed by a
chemist
> at UCI.  It was about the size of a sugar cube and had no moving parts,
> somehow using a mesh of lasers to read and write. Storage capacity was
about
> a terabit. The access speed was comparable to RAM at the time. The article
> went on to say it would take about a decade to get it to market. The ten
> year mark was passed a couple years ago.
>
> Has anyone heard anything about it? Are they ready to test it?

I believe it will be released right after the Thor recordable CD system that
Radio Shack announced 15 years ago <G>.

Seriously, whenever you see something like this you should figure that some
bigwig in the company announcing it is getting ready to dump his stock a la
Ken Lay et al, telling everyone to buy Enron while they sold theirs.

Neil