[Coco] Totally OT: Terabit memory device

jimcox at miba51.com jimcox at miba51.com
Thu Jul 15 10:54:19 EDT 2004

Hi Bill:

I remember something like what you are talking about and
from what I remember, it was an optical memory device
attached via fiber or some other means of transmitting
light  to it(?)  The size sounds about right.

It's still AM here and I am only half way through my first
coke, so I may be a little fuzzy with my memory :)  I
think the reason why it may be shelved is that it's too
far ahead of other technology to work, or it was one of
those great ideas on paper, but in the real world, didn't
work.

I work with Fibre Channel storage systems and right now,
and using 18 GB drives, it takes about 6 4U chassis full
of drives to make a TB. There are larger drives available,
so the size of the system depends on the drives used
(largest Fibre Channel (FC) drive that I have seen listed
is around 140G so only one 4U chassis is needed, but those
are quite new)  FC drives go through rigorous testing and
spin at 15K so they are somewhat expensive.

There was an article on Slashdot about 4 months ago about
a 2TB solid state array being purchased by "a government
agency" (the agency wasn't listed)  It consisted of two 7
foot racks of solid state memory connected via several
hundred FC adapters.  That must be some data base they are
looking at :/

Jim

PS: Yes it is spelled "Fibre" :)