[Coco] Portal-9 Questions

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Wed Jul 14 02:49:36 EDT 2004

At 01:53 PM 7/13/2004, you wrote:
>Okay, I've uninstalled it and then reinstalled it at d:\coco\portal-9.
>I've been able to get it to build... I just found the button on the side
>bar. It's been getting covered up by a small window that keeps on moving
>itself over the build button. :( I didn't notice this until today. (That
>window is keeping itself above all other windows, no matter if it's the
>Portal-9 window or something else. It's annoying.)

Yea, it can be annoying when you find yourself moving it out of the way
every time you build a project, but you can still build even though the
software hasn't been purchased.  Ofcourse, I've got PC software with
reminders of their own, like my favorite e-mail program Eurdora, which
shows square advertisements at random in the lower left corner of my
screen.  I've tried moving it off the screen but Eudora will eventually
throw a message up saying that it has detected that I have moved the ad
window off the screen and then go on to explain why it exists in the
sponsored version of the software.  :)

>It's still doing that with the latest version that you posted up on
>coco3.com. Something else I've been having problems with is that for
>some odd reason Portal-9 keeps on overwriting the configuration file on
>every start of Portal-9. This means that all of my options and paths are
>being reset on every startup. To get around this, I edited the file then
>I marked it read-only.

What version of Windows are you using?  Windows 2000 has caused problems
that I was unable to track down so for now I don't mention 2000 as being
supported.  Also, do you have the service Pack 1 for XP?  Also, is this the
only drop-down list that's "sticking" ?

If I run into anything else, I'll let you know. Until then, I'm pretty
>impressed with the build feature. I like it alot... Now I have to finish
>learning 6809ASM.  :)

My goal has been to make the IDE do as much thinking as it can and to not
require a nasty configuration like most other IDEs do.  If you really want
to see an impressive sight... build the Projector-3 system in one
click.  The project is in the Source Pak download.  And, if you have
emulation enabled you will be sitting at a virtual CoCo with the P-3 floppy
disk mounted in no time, ready to run.  It just doesn't get any better than
that.  Installing M.E.S.S. on your PC and telling Portal-9 where it is, is
a very smart move.

Roger Taylor