[Coco] Barden Book

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Wed Jul 7 13:00:48 EDT 2004

On 7-Jul-04, at 12:47 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:

>> If you get me the contact info, I can try. I'm a Canadian citizen, so
>> I'm entitled to ask for a license (and he is obligated to provide
>> one,
>
> ????
>
> That part, I'm not quite following.  He's obligated to give you a
> license?

Yes. By Canadian law, unless the copyrighted work is still published.
I've been trying to load the law itself, but the site seems to be
unresponsive. Here's the link to the entire Canadian Copyright Act:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-42/index.html

The reasoning is, if a copyrighted work is published in Canada, and
becomes unavailable (I think for 5 years,) the current copyright holder
is obligated to issue a license to someone who wants to publish it,
unless they decide to republish themselves. The terms of the license
are not specified, though.

James