[Coco] Barden Book

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Wed Jul 7 00:05:23 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 20:57, Bill Cousert wrote:
> I'd like to see someone contact Barden and try to get permission to distribute copies of his books. Perhaps Dennis could try, he has the most clout.

That of course can only work if Bill Barden owns the sole copyright to
the book, or can get hold of it.

A good idea though.

I doubt it's a matter of clout. If someone has an address, just tell him
how much you like the book, that it is now hard to get, how you are
willing to put in the effort to scan the book into PDF form, and how he
can protect his copyright to any degree and manner he wishes with the
various licenses (Creative Commons licenses are probably the most
applicable to books).

Open sourcing books takes work and money. And authors are also concerned
about the integrity of their work. You need to explain how you will take
care of these things.

I already have my hands full on a similar project for the book "Thinking
Forth." I personally can give advice, and web resources/hosting, but
little more.

-- John.