[Coco] Nitros9 Questions - new Nitros9 user

Charlie chazbeenhad at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 14 08:37:41 EDT 2004

I have Nitros9 installed on my COCO3 with a B&B hardrive controller. I
have made my own custom boot disk and everything boots up fine and seems
to be working.

I have a couple of questions.

1st, The distribution Nitros9 disk boots with a 80 collum white text
screen when you type dos. My custom boot disk stays in the 32 character
screen. Not a big deal. I just thought the white boot screen was cool and
was wondering why the custom boot disk doesn't have it. Of course when
Nitros9 is running it goes to the regular Black on Green 80 character
screen. Whats the best way to make that default to white on black?

Can someone explain to me how to create windows. I read the PDF file, but
I must admit, I'm lost. What used to work in my old OS-9 startup file to
create a couple windows for me at boot up locks Nitros9 up solid. How
would I create an 80,40, and 32 collum window? I'm not interested in
windows on windows, just seperate full screen windows with a shell. I
really need a 32 collum window to play Kings Quest 3 :-)
xmode /w4 type01
Shell i+/w4&
That would normaly make my 32 collum window in os9.

Last question (for now). I use Ed to edit text files and I noticed under
Nitros9 that my joystick isnt working as a mouse pointer anymore. If I can
get a 32 collum text screen to start KQ3 I'll see if the joysticks are
working at all.

Thanks!
Charlie