[Coco] Re: Bit 5 of DSKREG

Richard Batt dickbatt at buffalo.com
Sat Jan 31 15:32:14 EST 2004

Hi Tim:

I have 3 disk controllers but no schematics for any of them.
However, I found the schematic for the FD-501 in the "Tandy's
Little Wonder" book. This schematic shows the interrupt from
the 1773 being gated before it leaves the disk controller as
the NMI* signal.

The gating is being done by part of U5, a LS02 chip, used as
an AND gate with inverted inputs. If both inputs are low it
outputs a hi. This hi is inverted by a separate gate (U6)to
give the active low output NMI. The AND gate gets one of its
low inputs from the 1773's int out inverted by another gate
(chip unidentified) to give the low input to the AND gate.

The other AND input receives the same signal as the DDEN*
input on the 1773. This is the double density signal to
the 1773, and is active low for dd. When this signal is low
to the AND gate it allows the interrupt from the 1773 to pass
thru to the NMI* output. So the disk controller will only
output an NMI* when the disk controller is in dd mode.

It seems a bit odd to me that the NMI* output would be linked
to dd operation, but assuming the schematic is correct, that
is how it works.

Dick Batt