[Coco] Gal Logic

Mark Marlette mmarlett at isd.net
Fri Jan 30 21:24:22 EST 2004

At 10:11 AM 1/30/2004 -0500, you wrote:

James,

I agree and disagree depending on the target. GALS are under $1 and if they
will work then that is what I'll use. I use Altera's Max Software and that
is free as well. I bought The DataMan 48LV programmer, that is what was
$1300 plus some adapters. It does almost everything and that is what I
needed. EPROMs, PAL, GALS, MPU, CPLD, serial EPROMs, etc.... Have used them
all here at Cloud-9. New designs use JTAG programmers which I designed my
own off of an Altera design. Improved and self powering with multi-voltage
support. Altera's programmer for their free software is still $150. Haven't
done Xilinx, Altera seems to do well in the CPLD arena for me and very cost
effective.

I look at what the target is and I pick the product that fits the app the
best. It would be easy from a training standpoint just to use one product
line but I have yet to see one vendor have the solution for everything.

Mark
Cloud-9