[Coco] 6309 microprocessor project 01-28-2004

John Collyer johncollyer at zoominternet.net
Thu Jan 29 13:09:03 EST 2004

Because the size of this project, and the fact that I wanted to support the
Multi-Pak Interface.
I have dropped the Memory Management Extension Register support for 16MB.
This opens
the area in the memory map for other things.  Since OS9 and NitrOS9 only
supports 2 MB.
My emulator will only support the 2MB limit making the addresses from
$FF70 - $FF7E
open and available to the routines which other programs can call to link in
devices to FFxxH.

How the Multi-Pak and Switched Bank ROM/RAM works:

You can have a maximum of two switched banked rom/ram cartridges. The
Multi-pak memory
is a table of four 16K/32K memory pointers to a 16K/32K memory area.  Inside
of singlebank
and fixbanks the Multi-pak memory pointers are updated.  The functions
singlebank and fixbanks
use the fact that, if 16K/32K external ROM mapping, the table of virtual
memory pointers are
updated with the pre-calculated Multi-pak memory pointer. On startup the
slot select value uses
the slot select switch on the Multi-pak for its startup state. Inside of
$FF7F register the slot select
value is written and fixbanks is called to update the memory pointers.  The
functions singlebank
and fixbanks do not care about the banked rom/ram.  Other routines take care
of switching the
pointers for the switched banked rom/ram.

John Collyer