[Coco] Re: Banked switched roms

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Thu Jan 29 10:29:00 EST 2004

Bruce Calkins wrote:
> This sounds like the J & R Banker, A 128k or 256k ram upgrade for the CoCo 1
> and 2.  It needed a patch for OS-9 which is not available yet (if ever?) for
> the nitrOS9 project.  A neat toy but, little serious software exists for it.
>
> Bruce W.
>

>>Looking at the Feb. 1986 Rainbow I see a article about
>>the Banker.  Was this a 16K cartridge?  Just skimming
>>the article, did this ram disk use banking like the games
>>above?
>>
>>John Collyer

I have a J & R Banker board in my CoCo I which I haven't turned on in
years (decades) anyways mine had 512k.  It sure made OS9 Level 1 fly,
since the first thing it did was iniz the drive (maybe format) then move
my cmd directory over to it.  My CoCo3 w/128k was a real disappointment
at first.
IIRC there was a BASIC Demo program that would switch Banks in and out
under RS-BASIC, Moving graphic screens in and out.  Nothing like that
under OS9.
On the CoCo3 slightly modified, 2 MB is the standard upgrade since that
is the limit of the GIME addressing.  I believe it is built into nitrOS9
(My CoCo3 is not running and I do not have 2 MB, but 512k).  There is no
programs that I am aware of that demand over the Tandy maximum Standard
of 512k.  So other than a Ram drive I'm not sure what use 64MB would be
under OS9.

Thinking out loud.... If nitrOS9 V3 swapped certain modules/drivers in
and out of the system space, things not used..RBF vs SCF
devices/modules, maybe pushing and popping from external RAM complete
system maps on the fly would work, with a 50MB Ram drive.  (It will take
a long time to mirror my old MFM drive to the Ram drive though)

~David Hazelton