[Coco] Re: Newbie help: Barden Bubble w/ Portal-9

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Thu Jan 29 04:26:48 EST 2004

At 10:16 PM 1/28/2004 -0800, you wrote:
Roger:

>This actually clears up a few things for me.  I know this is documented
>some place and I will eventually find it, but what is the specific address
>range we should use with ORG in both Portal-9 and a real CoCo?

Since M.E.S.S. emulates the CoCos, the everything works the same.  Portal-9
just builds software, it doesn't have memory space so you're not loading
programs into Portal-9 to be run... you're sending your software images off
to M.E.S.S. which causes them to be run just as if you plugged them into a
real CoCo (by inserting the disk, or ROM Pak).

BASIC programs occupy rougly the area between 3584 and ~32000.  If a BASIC
program is loaded, you'll have to load your ML programs into a higher
address, above the BASIC program (unless you don't care overwriting the
BASIC program).  Normally, you'll be just loading a ML program into the
CoCo with nothing else loaded, so try address 3584 so you'll have a lot of
working room for code and data.

Like I said, in most of my games and programs, I use an origin of 3584
because I know there won't be any BASIC program loaded at the same address
or nearby. You could use something like 4000 or even 4096, and it wouldn't
make a bit of difference in normal situations.  In some advanced
programming situations, there could be a need for your code to start on a
certain boundary, such as a 256-byte page boundary, etc.

All of this will most definately not come to you at once, so don't try to
gather too much at one time.  I highly suggest a CoCo BASIC manual so you
can study the memory map.