Success! Re: [Coco] Newbie help: Barden Bubble w/ Portal-9

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Tue Jan 27 14:25:21 EST 2004

I'm glad I was able to help, Jim.  If you're willing to learn, I can teach
you what I know, and hopefully you can do the same to others who want to
learn.  If it makes you feel better, I actually force feed my head every
day at some point with some type of book or doc that plays a part in
software development and the like.  Listening to the pros pays
off.  Ofcourse, just because ya own a huge span of professional computer
books doesn't make me or anybody else a pro.  But when you find yourself
applying things you've learned and seeing the results, it makes sense to
read as much as you can, and do it as frequently as you can.  Reading is
probably half of the chore of getting to where you want to be.  Also, most
of the technical books you read will mention some other author or authors
that the author gives credit to.

My advice is to go ahead and throw $70 to Books-a-million for that insanely
thick computer science book.  But whatever book speaks the language you can
understand, that's the book you need to start with, and carry that sucker
in your car with you in case you get stuck in a traffic jam, or have to
wait 2 hours at the DMV, etc.  That's what I do.  Many years ago I found
the Barden assembly book in Radio Shack for 99 cents.  I like to think that
book was my ticket to what I can do today.  I still have it right here and
I still consult with it from time to time.