[Coco] Re: S.E.C.S.

Richard Batt dickbatt at buffalo.com
Tue Jan 27 13:23:20 EST 2004

Hi Brad-

After several days of intermittent looking I found my docs
on S.E.C.S. The initials stand for Screen Editor Control System.
Some quotes from the description of the program:

Once SECS has been loaded, it becomes an extension of the computer.

The editor is screen based & includes auto key repeat, insert,
delete, joining & relocating lines, & audible error warning.

With Hi Res graphic enhancement you can
  -draw lines in any direction & in any color
  -choose between four separate modes of Hi Res & switch back
   & forth
  -invert the screen, set color, set programmable character,
   set line & set screen

The Character Generator has a set of 64 definable characters.
Once you have established your characters they can be placed
on the screen in a variety of colors & positions. The complete
character set can be saved on tape & reused at any time.

The docs then have several pages of directions on the commands
& a sample program.

I seem to remember it was kind of neat when I first got the
program. But if you wrote a program using SECS's HiRes or
Char. Set, you wouldn't be able to give it to someone else
unless they has SECS also. On top of that, I seem to remember
it broke when I changed something in my system. I think it
was when I got a new version of the color basic rom. I suspect
they used some non standard entry points in the rom. At about
the same time I got the extended basic rom which partially
duplicates the features of SECS so I stopped using it.

I have both the other two programs you asked about as well
but would have to hunt some more for those docs. In the
beginning there wern't that many programs out for the Coco
& I bought practically all the ones that came out. After
they started coming in greater number, I became more selective.