[Coco] Newbie help: Barden Bubble w/ Portal-9

jimcox at miba51.com jimcox at miba51.com
Mon Jan 26 17:46:13 EST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:37:07 -0500
  Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>jimcox at miba51.com wrote:
>
>> I think I better explain how I attempted to create this
>>program, so you
>> all can better understand how I screwed up:
>>
>> 1) Entered code from Bardens book directly into new file
>>on Postal-9
>> (This is where I think the problem is)
>>
>> 2) After saving the file as bubble.asm, I followed
>>Rogers directions
>> (the problem is not her)
>>
>> My mistake is that I thought I could just enter the code
>>into Portal-9
>> and run it.  Do I need to use CASM?  I am not yet using
>>EDTASM+, so I am
>> not that familiar with it. I need to read through the
>>"Color Computer
>> Disk System Owners Manual & Programming Guide" and the
>>EDTASM+ manual,
>> and reread the Portal-9 Help files.
> >
>Yes indeed but that is a universal fault. :)
>
>>Plus I need to be less impatient, it's just I am eager to
>>learn assembly.
>>

>If you have the latest Portal-9 installed on your system,
>the source code for the Sort program has ORG and EXEC
>statements. When you hit the run button, Portal-9 will
>call CCASM, compile the source code, create a .dsk image,
>and start emulation with the disk image mounted.
>
>The sort and sort2 programs just need a LOADM"SORT":EXEC
>to work but there are two "gotchas". The program must be
>run from a 32 col screen on a Coco3 (WIDTH32) and the
>screen needs some data in it to see anything happen.

Thanks Robert!  I am currently running P9 Version 1.41?
and have put off updating because of some quircks Roger
listed.

What I think I should do to streamline my learning process
as much as possible is for me to use Portal 9 exclusively.
 That way I can save my file on my Win 98 box and not have
to deal with getting my MPI upgraded, installing a
diskcontroller and trying to get either the EDTASM+ Pack
or Disk working.  That way I also avoid the transfer
issues too.

Jim