[Coco] Re: Undocumented opcode $3E

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jan 26 16:26:03 EST 2004

Torsten

>From the 1981/1983 6809 Microprocessor Programming manual there is an
instruction listed in the description area called RESTART. Yet ther eis no
indication of what the opcode is. It is not in the OPcode summary or in the
Opcode map either.

Here is what it does.

F and I bits of the CCR aer set.
DP register is cleared.
PC lis loaded with $FFFE and then $FFFF.

Adressing mode is Extended Indirect Mode.

>From what I can gather from gleening through the above manual and other
material, this instruction appears to be a software reset/restart. It was then
the duty of the Reset routine to determine if the reset is a power on
reset(external) or software reset (internal).

The RESTART will function only as an instruction while the RESET Pin is
actually treated as the highest level of IRQ. It will even mask the NMI IRQ.
>From what I can gather, it looked as if Motorola intended to do some
means of hard or soft reset and it really did not works so they told noone
about the opcode RESTART or where it was in the opcode map.

On eother thing the RESET Pin will interrupt any instruction that is in the
process of execution, even if it is in the middle of the instruction execution.
The RESTART instrruction is decoded as an instrtuction and starts
executing the RESET routine vectored at FFFE/FFFF.

james

To:             	coco at maltedmedia.com
From:           	Torsten Dittel <Torsten at Dittel.info>
Date sent:      	Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:40:58 +0100