[Coco] 8-Bit Microcomputers

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Sun Jan 25 23:14:52 EST 2004

KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> industry-standard floppy interface was a real gift, and we didn't waste it!
>
> Also, despite the jokes about Tandy's serial printers and modems, that
> interface was standard RS-232, once you got past the 4-pin DIN connector (which hung
> from the walls in Rad Shack store).  And the manual documented the pinouts.

Actually, it wasn't standard RS-232, Since if I remember right it was
+3/-3v instead of +5/-5v.  This actually helped me at a job I once had.
  I worked at Cabletron and I had a sales person call me to ask why
Cabletron's Terminal Server (Xylogic's Annex3 in a Cabletron hub)
couldn't see a RS-232 device.  A Unix machine was polling the ports to
read power gauges.  While Cabletron's Terminal Server sat there blankly
along with 2 other companies Terminal Servers, Cisco's Terminal Server
was reading the gauges happily.  It made Cabletron look bad.  Well,
Cabletron at the time resold Cisco routers redesigned for thier hub, so
I called up a Cisco engineer to ask him, he didn't know off the top of
his head, but when I mentioned that it acted like the guage voltage
wasn't high enough and that I had seen a system that RS-232 was based as
+3/-3v, he looked at the schematics.  True enough that was the problem,
testing the gauges voltage, it never went above 3.5 volts.  Cabletron
lost the contract and Cisco won.

~David Hazelton