[Coco] RESET on CoCo 1/2 vs CoCo 3

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Sun Jan 25 21:58:17 EST 2004

The shift-break reset technique will indeed break out of any program,
except those that have specifically guarded against it, on the CoCo 1 and
early CoCo 2s (ones that have the Color Basic version that supports 4K
ROMs). But, unlike ctrl-alt-reset on the CoCo 3, the technique breaks you
out into a weird memory mode--in effect, you fool the machine into
thinking you have 4K of RAM.  Pretty much anything you try to do in this
mode will give an ?OM error.  If you press reset again, without holding
down shift and break, you'll be right back in the program you broke out of
originally.  With certain special, cassette based software (CLOADM and
EXEC are among the few commands that work in 4K mode), you can capture an
image of the state of all 64K of RAM as it was when shift-break-reset was
pressed, which has been used as a powerful technique for removing copy
protection.  But, other than that, it is not of much practical use.

Art