[Coco] Barden's Assembly book.

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 25 07:18:45 EST 2004

jimcox at miba51.com wrote:
>  From what I gather, Willaim Barden's "TRS-80 Color Computer: Assembly
> Language Programming" is the best book for newbie assembly programmers.
>
> Anything about the book that I should be made aware of such as errors or
> hints on how to make it a better learning experience?
>
> Jim

Depending on how ordered your mind is and the methods by which you like
to learn, the Barden book may not be the best for you. There are several
books that are very good for learning 6809 programming. The problem will
be finding them. In my opinion there are two basic types, cookbooks with
little detail and textbooks with few Coco examples. I'll list some using
that as a basic. All are good in their own way.

Cookbooks -  "TRS-80 Color Computer Assembly Language Programming" by
William Barden, Jr. and "Assembly Language Graphics for the TRS-80 Color
Computer" by Don Inman, Kurt Inman, with Dymax

Textbooks -  "6809 Microcomputer Programming & Interfacing with
Experiments" by Andrew C. Staugaard, Jr.
"6809 Assembly Language Programming" by Lance A. Leventhal
"Assembly Language Subroutines for the 6809" by Lance A. Leventhal and
Sally Cordes

If I had to chose only one for my learning method preferences, I'd the
first Leventhal in the above list. To apply what I learned to the Color
Computer, the "Unravelled" series of books are invaluable and in a class
by themselves.