[Coco] Re: 8-Bit Microcomputers

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Jan 24 14:50:01 EST 2004

In a message dated 1/24/04 1:45:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Torsten at Dittel.info writes:

> Yes it could using the volume registers (I guess 5 Bit only, not 6 like
>  the CoCo) and a rectangle waveform with frequency zero. But I guess the
>  Commie users nerver knew how a DA conversion worked in hardware, I for
>  myself could se the resistance network on my CoCo's motherboard... ;-)

Well now, that's a good trick -- never heard of that one before, but obvious
how it would work, once you know there's a volume register.  And that it can
respond that fast.

As for the resistance network, I remember on my Coco 1 measuring and
replacing some of the resistors to eliminate reverse steps or glitches in the output,
and adding 2 more resistors to make it 8 bits (you had to reprogram the LSB as
an output).
--Mike K.