[Coco] 8-Bit Microcomputers

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Fri Jan 23 22:01:52 EST 2004

On Jan 23, 2004, at 12:58 PM, Brad Grier wrote:

> A few questions...
>
> Were there any other home computers based on the 6809 besides the
> CoCo? I know there were quite a few arcade games. Perhaps some failed
> platform or something used outside of the United States?

The Dragons used 6809s the parent company was Welsh (hence being a
Dragon), but they were sold under license by a couple companies
including TANO (Technical Associates of New Orleans, part of the
petroleum industry) which sold a few in the U.S.  There were a couple
Japanese home computers, and the Commodore SuperPET.  There may be a
couple other, but that is all that comes to mind.  A number of these
are sometimes referred to as CoCo clones, but considering how closely
Radio Shack followed a Motorola application example in producing the
CoCo, it is probably more a case of a common source.