[Coco] Color Computer "Appliance and Light Controller"

Bruce Calkins bcalkins at disaster-relief.net
Fri Jan 23 10:38:05 EST 2004

Entering my computer room and "office" a controller (26-3142)  is mounted on
a homemade bracket.  The buttons control the lights in this room.  In the
past I used the program function to run the night light in the living room
and the outside front door lamp as well as a window fan.  For the lamps,
full brightness in the early evening and dimming at night and returning to
full brightness along about the time people were getting up, then off for
the daylight hours.  Unfortunately she who must be catered to, did not take
to using the 16 unit control box to override, control or otherwise adjust
the lighting.  So the system is currently only in use in MY area.  (And I
occasionally have to reset local light switches.)  It is mostly a mater of
how deeply one wants to get into home "automation".  The CoCo controller is
a program and forget unit.  (Which reminds me I need to check its memory
saver battery.  I Installed it used over two years ago!)  I built a switch
box to use the cassette deck on the same CoCo port too.  (BTW the program
pak uses a semi-graphics mode of the 6847 VDG that was not implemented in
the CoCo 3's GIME chip.  You will need a CoCo 1 or 2 to use the pak.)
(IIRC; The controller contains a 6803 MPU and a 6116 memory chip.)

With the use of a basic program and the basic command line one could have a
intruder, fire detection plus whatever routine running on one's CoCo and
send output to turn on lights, noise makers and such like.  The true limit
would be one's imagination.

BTW; I suspect from the model number, (26-1182), you have the earlier
cassette software based unit?  I am not familiar with the capabilities of
this older unit.  The unit I have (and a spare) is the TRS-80 Color
Computer, Plug 'n Power version (26-3142) with ROM Pak software.

Bruce W.

> Bruce, I've been collecting some of these from eBay auctions over the past
two years.  So far I have 1 Plug N Power Controller (26-1182), 7 Appliance
and Light Controller Modules (26-3142), 2 Universal Appliance Modules
(61-2684A), and 1 Remote Control Center (61-2680).  I've been hoping to
figure out a good use for these.  If you have a plan or some practical ideas
you could pass on to me, please let me know.  Thanks!