[Coco] Re: Re: Re: Disk Basic and 512 byte block floppies.

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Fri Jan 23 02:33:51 EST 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 10:05 pm, Theodore (Alex) Evans wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2004, at 6:00 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Ok, when I saw the 128 byte sector as a posible option, I assumed
> > (theres that word again) that it was an apple format.  My bad.
> > There are all sorts of weird formats in the list of possible
> > formats, 90% of which I've never come in contact with.  Anyway,
> > there is a file someplace on the system, and whose location and
> > name eludes me ATM, that one can edit to add the coco formats as
> > this gives them a name that you can then preset the driver tow ork
> > with, and such settings are valid until that disk is removed, at
> > which point the defaults are restored, so one has to do the re-init
> > operation after inserting each disk in the drive.
>
> All CP/M disk formats use virtual 128 byte sectors, and a few (very
> few) use physical 128 byte sectors.  As for some of the others
> Osborne 1 single density disks use 1024 byte sectors and double
> density use 2048 byte sectors.

That was on 5.25" disks. On real, original, 8" CP/M disks, they used the
128 byte sectors that G-D, IBM and Gary Kildall intended them to use.
Ward Griffiths				wdg3rd at comcast.net

On Valentine's Day, millions of men give millions of women flowers,
cards and candy as a heartfelt expression of the emotion that also
motivates men to observe anniversaries and birthdays: fear.
						-- Dave Barry