[Coco] Copyright???

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Fri Jan 23 00:34:29 EST 2004

At 05:40 PM 1/22/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>I'll go out on a limb here and play the devils advocate.
>The CoCo is no longer commercially available. The software, magazine articles,
>etc. are no longer for a viable machine. So would it be such a strech to say
>that the software, mag articles, etc. no longer fall under the copyright
>act based
>on the fact the machine is no longer available?
>
>Clifford

I'm somebody could raise a stink if they wanted to because you can emulate
the CoCo on PCs, so someone could claim that their software doesn't require
the original machine anymore, but is capable of still running on everyone's
PC.  That is, the software itself, not a physical ROM Pak or cassette.  I
would never go so far as to claim somebody elses work, especially something
that used to be a commercial product, so copying prehistoric software might
be less serious than attempting to remake an old product and call it your
own work.  However, in the open source world that is evolving it is
becoming more difficult to claim anything as your own work or detect where
something come from.  If you want to retain ownership of your code, don't
release it.  :)