[Coco] Copyright???

Kenneth Schunk ken at kenschunk.com
Thu Jan 22 20:17:12 EST 2004

No, what it actually says is that it isn't against the DMCA to try to
reverse engineer storage formats or protections that prevent you from
running a program that requires access to the original media (or some
hardware dongle thing). It doesn't even remove the copyright protection
- it just gives permission to bypass protection schemes on obsolete
software and hardware. Here's an example:

The original CoCo Max required the HiRes pack that came with it to be
plugged in for the software to run. Without it the program would just
hang at the opening screen. In the old days you could reverse engineer
the software to write a patch for the program to allow it to run
without the pack being there. That in itself was perfectly legal to do
then, but isn't under the DMCA. If I write a program that needs the
original CD in the drive or a dongle plugged into the USB or parallel
or whatever port you are not allowed to reverse engineer it to remove
the copy protection. The exemption states that if the hardware that
works with the dongle (or disk format) isn't available anymore you can
work around it without breaking the DMCA.

It's really targeted at things like DVD copy protection and the like.

Ken