[Coco] Looking for CoCo astronomy and space software.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 19 17:12:56 EST 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 16:28, jimcox at miba51.com wrote:
>Hi Neil:
>
>Just took a quick look at it and it looks like a good
>source for PC software (remember, I said "quick look" :)
>I'll bookmark it for my PC interests.
>
>I'm looking for CoCo software since I assume most of it
>would be in basic, so I can take a look at it and
>understand what's going on, or am I mistaken in that
>assumption?

There was an solar or lunar eclipse predictor program published maybe
15 years ago in IIRC Byte, written in basic-5.22, whatever that was.
It looked a lot like truebasic in styling.  I had  fun converting it
to C srcs and making it run, but was never convinced it was 100%
accurate.  It made heavy use of julian time, which with the south
american fellows trig libraries from the rainbow, seemed to fall
apart in March, 4714 BC IIRC.  I don't think julian time likes itself
when it goes below zero...

That was the first time I'd tried to do a program of any real size
(for a coco) in C, and I don't think it explored the bugs in c.prep
at all.  But it was a lot of fun, and good exercise for me at the
time.

I haven't the foggiest if I still retain that copy of that magazine
though.

I do have the object yet, and *maybe* even the c srcs.

From: <jimcox at miba51.com>