[Coco] Re: Re: Re: off-topic, space program

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jan 18 18:15:05 EST 2004

On Sunday 18 January 2004 13:27, Lawrence Weeks wrote:
>Once upon a time (Sun Jan 18), Gene Heskett wrote:
>> A Titan?  Sorry, the original titan just doesn't have the oomph to
>> put something that big out to a lagrange point, it was just barely
>> an icbm designed to hit moscow from south dakota.  With a payload
>> no bigger than 3 of me weightwise inside the nosecone.  I was
>> there, and did that.  Besides, its electronics were all Ge with
>> zip
>> dependability.
>>
>> The Titan 2, which was in fact an all much new and bigger bird,
>> maybe. Depends on what the Webb weighs.
>
>Titan 4B actually. That's our biggest I think now. I believe
>Webb will go up with an orbital booster, and be slowly moved out
>to lagrange. Apparently they plan to do science during the THREE
>MONTH trip.

Titan 4B eh, what weight can it put in LEO?

I expect it will be slow, at least unless they intend to take as much
fuel along to stop with as they used to get out of LEO.  High speed
for that trip will take more fuel on both ends.  An easy boost around
the moon for a bit of help and they could save most of it for
stopping.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,