[Coco] 6309 microprocessor project 01-16-2004

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Sat Jan 17 15:25:17 EST 2004

On Jan 17, 2004, at 4:34 AM, John Collyer wrote:

> I know I seen someone suggest that the coco (4?)
> whatever should use a 32-bit program counter
> and extend the registers all to 32-bit.  I think that
> would be nice!  One of the main reasons I like the
> coco (4?) whatever is because of the 6809 assembly
> language.  I haven't found any other assembly language
> that even comes close to being so nice as the 6809.

Do we want to try to be code compatible?  I see all kinds of
complications arising out of this.  For instance D being A&B (and if we
go from the 6309 W being D&E).  If you don't can think of a number of
nicer assembly languages (m68k, PDP-11, and SPARC come immediately to
mind).  A couple more registers would be a big improvement (one of the
nice features of the 6309 extentions).