[Coco] 6X09 -> HC11/HC12

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Jan 16 09:54:34 EST 2004

Mark

The HC705 is nothing like the HC11. More scaled down. Almost a modern 6800.
The 6808 is the big brother of the 6805 series a very similar archetecture. The
HC11 like the 6809 has the two accuamlators that can be concated into one 16 bit
register. The HC11 only has three pointer registers, X, Y and S. The HC11 has 16
bit as well as 8 bit instructions. The HC12 is a true 16 bit processor. It has identical
programming model. Other than having more instructins and 16 bit architecture, you
can think of an HC12 as and HC11 on steriods. CPU12 copre runs at 4 times teh
rate of the CPU11 core. In some of its flavors it will allow 8 bit databuss
configuration. The CPU core, CPU12 is an upward migration from the HC11and
different from than CPU16 used in the HC16. Of the three, HC05, HC11 and HC12
the HC12 source code is more compatible to the 6809. From looking at some of the
OS9 source code in a HC11/HC12 IDE,  my guess is that better than 95%
compatiblity in the source code.

Bear in mind the HC12 was designed after the HC16. The HC16 was an attempt to
move users of the HC11 series ot a more powerful line. A blend of the the HC11
and 68K CPUs. The problem was that the HC11 source and the HC16 source were
not 100% compatible. So no one migrated to the HC16. Then came the
HC12/HSC12. This processor and it s resultant CPU12 core is 100% source code
compatible. HC11 users cantake their HC11 source code and reassemble it on
HC12 assemblers and run. No touchup,  no mess not fuss. The HC12 adds more
instructions and support for fuzzy logic. The HC12 does have commands that do
allow going through lookup table much easier.

james