[Coco] Sort of On-topic: SETI at Home like distrubuted computing with a CoCo?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 15 19:27:41 EST 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 17:56, jimcox at miba51.com wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:20:19 -0500
>
>  Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>>On Thursday 15 January 2004 17:06, jimcox at miba51.com
>>
>>wrote:
>>>Would it be possible to do some sort of distributed
>>>computing project like SETI at Home with CoCo's?
>>>
>>>I don't mean using a CoC0 for SETI at Home, but how about
>>>some other program, like music generation or something
>>>like that?
>>
>>I played around with that a bit at one point, started out
>>using the
>>much better audio facilities of a TI-99/4a, but the coco
>>just didn't
>>have the audio system to make "pleasurable" sounds when I
>>parked the
>>4a in the basement.  FWIW its still there!  The deciding
>>factor for
>>me was that the coco was actually a lot more versatile
>>than the 4a.
>>And a lot cheaper to expand too.
>>
>>>Jim
>
>Gene:
>
>What I was suggesting was a program where each CoCo would
>generate a certain portion of music that can be played
>back on MIDI instruments.  Sort of a free style CoCo
>compusition.
>
>Another program could be used to anylize radio signals.
> Just trying to think of a common project for us all.
>
>Jim

Thats not too bad an idea (the midi composer).  One would have to
figure out a way to make it compose the midi command as opposed to
sounding the notes with its limited audio, but shouldn't, if the
thing is modular enough, be a huge problem.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,