[coco] A couple of PC hardware questions

Ray Watts rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 15 22:08:51 EST 2004

1.  What is the difference between an AT and an ATX power supply?  I
note that the specs for an ATX show a +5V VSB lead.  How is that used?

2. Does a PS/2 keyboard operate identically to an AT keyboard (except
for the connector size)?

The reason I ask is that the latest JAMECO catalog has a 150W ATX PS
(though a litttle pricey) that will slide easily into the space left by
pulling the transformer and voltage regulator heat sink.  This will
allow one to install a superboard, a SCSI controller, a floppy
controller (both on a Y-cable), a couple of 3.5" floppy drives, a SCSI
HD and an internal SCSI ZIPdrive all into a CoCo chassis.  Then, all you
have to do is build a polystyrene backplane and cover.  Essentially,
this is what I did on the Grizzly CoCo except I only had a 65W PS so I
had to go with an external ZIP.  And, of course, Disto 2-meg and 3 in 1
boards in place of the superboard.  I was able to obtain several
internal ZIP's to use for this purpose.  One advantage to internal ZIP's
is (correct me if I'm wrong, Mark) you are not restricted to using /h5
and /h6.

JAMECO also has PS/2 keyboards (also a little pricey)  in place of those
windows monstrosities flooding the market.

Thanks,    Griz