[OT] [Long] [Inflammatory] Re: [Coco] Jingo - Jango - Mars

ostro011 ostro011 at umn.edu
Thu Jan 15 15:31:07 EST 2004

On 15 Jan 2004, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
> At 09:30 AM 1/15/04 -0500, James C. Hrubik, Sr. wrote:
> >There's nothing wrong with looking at the world through clear lenses.
> >I live in a country where I still have far more freedom and "goodies"
> >than I could have anywhere else in the world.
>
> As one who is slowly working on emigrating to the Netherlands, I'll say
> that where the US has advantages for you, it also has some disadvantages
> serious enough for me to leave it.

Dennis, I'm sure you have looked at all the positives and negatives of each
society, and you chose the Netherlands because of your research.  I hope
things work out for you there, and you are not disenchanted by the
experience.  Sometimes the grass always looks greener..., but sometimes it
really is.

What is your timeframe for the move?  Are you talking years from now, or
just months from now?  What will your citizenship status be at both places
- dual?  Is the move mostly because of "artistic" reasons, or are there
other, very fundamental, reasons?

I know that most of us come from backgrounds that had distant relatives
immigrate to the US for some of the same reasons you are mentioning for
leaving the US.  Have we changed that much as a country since the 1800's?
I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I just want you to make sure it's the
best move for you.

(Oh, and before you go, if you still have that Rainbow tape I sent you -
remember the sticky tape conversation thread on this list many moons ago -
it will be one less thing you will need to pack.  I'm obviously kidding.  I
don't think I could even tell you what issue it was anymore.)  ;-)   ;-)

Take care.

-- Steve --