[Coco] How many Cocos were sold?

John Guin johnguin at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 15:15:46 EST 2004

 One thing that always bothered me was Tandy never releasing sales figures
for the Color Computer.

Does anyone know how many were sold?  I just kind of assumed the serial
numbers started with 1 and went up from there, but I could see an overhaul
about the time of the Coco2 or 3 launch.

And assuming someone does know how many sold, how does that number compare
to the Commodore 64 or Atari 400/800, or any of the other 8 bit machines?

(As an aside, it's also still amazing to me that Tandy went from ~40% of the
PC market share to nothing.  I remember buying software that was listed as
"Tandy Compatible" in a bigger font than "MS-DOS" or "IBM" compatible).

Thanks all,
John