[Coco] Re: off-topic, space program

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jan 15 11:40:37 EST 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 03:12, Roger Taylor wrote:
>At 03:03 AM 1/15/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>>Hey, congrates Theodore.  I passed the 5000 unit mile marker last
>>fall, and was at one time in 99.27% ranking, but when I shut them
>>down while I was in Colorado for 2 months, I lost some ground I'll
>>never gain back without throwing some more hor$epower at it.
>> Faster machines than this one are and have been working at the
>> 25-35 units a day range for a fair amount of time now.  So I'm
>> someplace in the 37,000th place out of over 4 million.
>>
>>In case anyone is interested, a fellow West Virginian is in the top
>>20!  Luke Mester, has something to do with the Brooke County
>> Schools, and has the whole town plus a couple of racks of bare
>> motherboards all working on seti.  One of his "Hillbilly Super
>> Computers" is a square frame made of 2x2's, with 11 motherboards
>> mounted in it.  Old slow baords, but when you add them up, he has
>> crunched 695,571 units as of tonight.  We're just wannabees. :)
>
>What is their definition of unit, and how exactly does your computer
>participate in this spreading out of chores?

A "unit" is about 340k worth of noise, recorded near the waterhole at
1420 mhz, as the earth turns and steers the aricebo dish east to
west.  That dish is also steerable north and south by quite a few
degrees by moving the feedhorn house north and south on its
suspension cables.  So it can cover about half the northern
hemisphere of the universe.

The program that runs on our computers is doing a "butterfly
transform", equ to an FFT, at various center frequencies in small
fractions of a hertz around the waterhole, looking to see if there is
anything non-random in that noise, which might make it something to
still doing its version of an I Love Lucy rerun.  So far, everything
has been a false, non-repeatable alarm.  Or so they say.  I'd attach
a snapshot of my ksetispy results screen, but it just started on a
fresh unit a few minutes ago, so there are no real results yet.
Its doing about 214 megaflops a second ATM, in between my keystrokes.
That will slow some as the bandwidth its working at gets narrower.

The cpu meter? Stuck at 100% now since 1998 as I start the seti client
in my rc.local script so its running even before I log in, so this
elderly Thoroughbred core is typically running in the high 60C area.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,