[Coco] on-topic: 64K mode question

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 15 07:56:34 EST 2004

Torsten Dittel wrote:
> Hi,
> I just wondered what happens if I press "Reset" on a real CoCo which is
> in "64K-all-RAM mode". Will it return to the
> "32K-lower-RAM-32K-upper-ROM mode" forced by hardware or is it the reset
> handler in BASIC which is resetting the SAM by POKEing the corresponding
> addresses?
>
> Regards,
> Torsten

Don't worry about it. A Coco (1,2, or 3) will reset everything through
one of three methods, RESET, CTRL/ALT/RESET, power off.

Specifically, both SAM and GIME are hardware returned to their defaults
  by RESET. What happens next depends on the warm start code in the
ROMs. So a Coco 1 or 2 will return to 32K RAM/ 32K ROM while a Coco3
will return to 64K RAM.